Monday, March 01, 2010

My last game behind the bench will be this Friday


After 9 seasons behind the bench I'm hanging up the whistle, retiring the pez dispenser and ending this blog this Friday. It was a difficult decision to make but with work and family pressures it had to be made. The Bruce and Willie pre-game floor show is shutting down.

I have enjoyed every minute of every practice, game, tryout, (ok maybe not tryouts), team party. I have been so fortunate to be able to pursue this passion as long as I have. In the 9 seasons I coached 92 girls and enjoyed every single one. I never thought twice about the time I put into the teams. My pleasure came from the smiles in the dressing room. Hockey is that one thing we always had in common. It crosses generations, gender and origin. It may sound corny but it is part of what defines this nation. Just look what happened this past week.

I have so many wonderful memories to last me the rest of my life. My office wall is covered in mementos including a provincial championship medal.

I'm going to miss it.