Friday, October 03, 2008

Possible conversation between Cliff Fletcher and Ron Wilson

I was just imagining a possible conversation between Maple Leaf Interim General Manager Cliff Fletcher and his coach Ron Wilson regarding the start of the new hockey season. Judging by the talent pool pulled together Fletcher this is how it might go down:

Cliff Fletcher: Why don’t you have a seat Coach.

Ron Wilson: Thanks Cliff. What can I do for you?

CF: Well you’re getting near the end of training camp and you're probably thinking about what your opening roster will look like.

RW: As a matter of fact I am. There was a few personnel moves I wanted to talk to you about.

CF: Go ahead.

RW: Well I’ve been really pleased with the progress Luke Schenn has made the last few weeks and I’d like to keep him around. I’m thinking with the surplus of defensemen we could make a few deals to punch up the offense. I really think we can grab a playoff spot with a bit more scoring. You have lots of cap space too.

CF: Look Ron this can’t go beyond you and me. We’re tanking the season. The fans are expecting crap this year and that’s what they’re going to get. I want you to have this kid John Tavares next season. He’ll give you the offensive umph you’re missing.

RW: OK so what do you want me to do?

CF: Well you’re going with the players you got. Let’s just say, we aren’t upgrading talent at the moment.

RW: Well I was thinking about keeping this kid Schenn. He has been improving steadily and I think he can help. That means we can send down that mule Jonas Frogren to the minors. He’s a physical guy but can’t play at this level.

CF: Sorry I’m sending the kid back Kelowna. You’ll have to play the Swede.

RW: Well I can I keep him while Fingers is out with his bruised foot?

CF: No you'll have to play White or Kronwall. What else?

RW: So I was thinking the Russian, Kulemin, just isn’t ready for prime time. I think he should go play some games for the Marlies. We got veterans that can fill that spot.

CF: Sorry coach but the Russian stays.

RW: OK. I’m not sure how this is going to fly then but if you are big on rookies how about keeping Pogge up as the backup? Cujo has just sucked.

CF: Coach I want you to give Cujo lots of game time. The old coot deserves it. And the fans love him.

RW: So I’m guessing you want me to give Hollweg lots of ice too so our penalty killers see lots of game time.

CF: I think we're on the same wavelength Coach. So what were you thinking about as far as a captain?

RW: Kaberle or Kubina.

CF: I don’t think so. You may need to pick a new captain again in a few months.

RW: Antropov?

CF: Only if he uses velcro to stick the “C” on his jersey.

RW: Well how about Mayers?

CF: Hey the fans like that kid Stajan. Give them someone to cheer for. And he’s from Mississauga.

RW: Well I think that covers everything Cliff.

CF: It’s going to be a great year Ronnie. And get that number 91 jersey ready for that Tavares kid. Talk to you later.