Sunday, July 27, 2008

My Mats Sundin Poll


This past week I asked people to predict what Mats Sundin will decide to do this week. Here are the results.

40% responded that Sundin will sign with Vancouver. Seems people were influenced either by the rumours floating around last week or the size of the Canucks' offer. But I just don't see it. Sure they offered him $10 million per season but that is the only positive. Canuck fans are going to be mad at me but I don't consider Vancouver much better than the Leafs. After the Sedins there isn't much there. The amount of travel that the Canucks do for road games is not going to be very appealing to a 37-year old player. He'll feel like 47 by February.

28% responded that Sundin will return to the Leafs. I think there remains a strong possibility that he returns. He has repeated that he would like to retire as a Leaf and although he may have been disillusioned by the end of last season, he would like approve of the direction taken by Fletcher including hiring Nieuwendyk as an assistant. Nonetheless, I'm ambivilant about Sundin returning.
20% responded that Sundin will retire. I doubt it at this point. You don't take 3 1/2 months to decide to retire. But then Sundin tends to wait till the last minute to make decisions about his future. I don't see him retiring when the past season was one of his best.

12% responded that Sundin will sign with Montreal. I'm actually surprised that he didn't sign earlier. The Canadiens are a good fit and would provide him with good young talent to play with. They also have an excellent shot at the Stanley Cup. I wonder if he would find it difficult to return to the ACC so many times?

Well we may find out as soon as Friday. Frankly most hockey fans outside of Toronto are likely bored with the whole thing.